Friday, May 18, 2012

Meet the Family

Well, now that I've gotten a bunch of the emotional blabbering out of the way, I figure it's a good time to get everyone up to speed on the CURRENT picture of my family.  Now, when I say "picture," it's going to be a verbal description, because trying to capture all three of my kids in one photograph would be beyond miraculous. (OK, I stand corrected....we actually got one today!) Anyway, Mom (that's me) Dad (hubby) and the kiddos all live happily together in a modest home in Michigan.  Nicholas is now 3 1/2 years old, and despite not being verbal, has quite the silly personality on him. He laughs at things we don't even see, and loves his blocks, puzzles, and anything with letters on it. He also enjoys Yo Gabba Gabba,  Word World, Sid the Science Kid, and long walks on the beach. (okay, just kidding about that last one, but we haven't actually tried that yet, so maybe it's true!)  Avery is my spitfire 18 month old.  She is as cute as a button, and as sassy as a 13 year old.  She is my little helper, and enjoys doing anything that mommy is doing, or simply throwing food, blocks or anything else she can get her hands on from her high chair onto the ground. She is a very dramatic little girl, and she will most definitely run the show when it comes to her brothers one day. Brody is my tiny (or not so tiny) four month old man. He is my little smiley "tank," as we lovingly refer to him, and he is currently perfecting his skills of reaching, rolling, and doing his version of "crunches" every chance he gets. The three of them keep me hopping, and there is rarely a quiet moment in our home. My husband Chris is an awesome, involved daddy who loves all of his babies, and is my biggest support system.  We operate as a team in our home, and while I generally create the processes that run our household, he helps me implement them.  There is no way in this world that I could do this by myself, so kudos to all of those single mommies and daddies out there who do it every day.  Special needs children or not, parenting is so challenging, and in so many ways that I could never have understood until I had my own.  Without my husband, I would probably crumble to the ground most days (and even with him, I do some days!)

From the outside, I guess we look like the "typical" American family, whatever that means. Our kids are the center of lives, as they should be.  Every day with them is a day that I feel lucky (ok, if I'm being honest, maybe not EVERY day...but most days!)   And reflecting here on Mother's Day, I can say that I feel so blessed to have my happy little family.  Sure, we have our trials and tribulations like all of you, and some days I need to just get away, but NEVER do I truly feel like I would want it any other way. My kids are what have given me direction since their birth.  Some say they are still trying to figure out what they want to be when they grow up, and until now, I wasn't sure either.  But since the birth of my babies, I know that I was meant to be here for them, and thanks to them, I have a real purpose in life.  They have reshaped my world into something I could have never imagined.  While three in diapers is challenging, and adding to that, one dose of Autism, I look forward to our undoubtedly bumpy but exciting road ahead because we will all be TOGETHER!  Happy (belated) Mother's Day to all of you mommies out there who undoubtedly feel the same way about your babies as I do about mine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment