Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Long and Winding Road




Well, at last. I am sitting down to write.  The moments have been few and far between that I have had the motivation to write, and I can't say exactly why, but today I'm motivated, so I'm capitalizing on this moment.

A lot has changed since my last post.  A lot has been learned, and a lot has been lost.  Our family is transitioning into being healthier, both physically and mentally, and more independent.  Everyone in their own ways, has grown so much in the past several months, and I can honestly say that I don't even feel like the same person I was the last time I sat down at this computer to blurt out what was on my mind.

Life has been throwing curve ball after curve ball, and I think I've just found my glove.  It doesn't quite fit perfectly, but I'm breaking it in.

My kids are amazing.  I have begun watching all three of them begin to interact, mostly in part due to age, but also because they have become so aware of each other.  Little Dolly is so sweet to Nicholas, and asks him questions the same way Mom and Dad do (by giving him a choice of two answers) and will let me know how he answered her.  It is absolutely precious and I love watching him reach out to touch one of her hands when he answers her.  They may not play together like some siblings do, but they are at least AWARE of each other, and this is progress.  She will also be starting pre-school in the fall, and while the idea of her being at this age already startles me, she is very ready, and I know she will love it.

BrodyMonster has become increasingly independent, and he and Little Dolly play so nicely (who am I kidding....he pulls her hair every 15 minutes, and she cries and hits him back....) and regardless of the outcome of their play, it is a new experience for me to see my children in this light. I love every second of it, and I can honestly say that I have burst into tears at times watching them "play pretend" or make new friends at the park.  This is something that I cherish more than most parents might, or maybe not, but I can't even describe the how wonderful and happy this makes me feel.

As for Nicholas, we have many changes happening.  He has been doing great at his school, and progress, albeit slow and steady, has been made.  It's not always tangible, but the little things, like how he is starting to listen and do small things that I ask him to do (like "Come sit on the snuggle couch with mommy, Nicholas!" ) is beginning to give me hope that we will one day connect on a much more intimate level.  He is so loving, and is amazingly gifted with vocabulary and reading.  I have been quizzing him, and I am always shocked at the knowledge that he holds in his little head.  On a not so wonderful note, his pediatrician has advised us to see a geneticist once again to have him tested, and hopefully rule out any "syndromes" that may be causing his delay in physical growth. This one threw me for a loop and hit me pretty hard, but forward we march.  On a more positive note, I have been toying around with a Casein Free diet to see if there are any changes to his behaviors or physical symptoms.  It has only been two weeks, and nothing majorly notable, but he DOES seem to be trying to communicate more effectively.  I did not begin this for that reason, but more for a "what the heck....lets see what happens...can't hurt, right?" kind of thing.  Not to mention, his diet has been awful for so long, that I have to believe that his growth issues are related more to this than a syndrome (fingers crossed) and I figure this way I can try and get better nutrients in him. He's been doing really well with it, and we will forge ahead regardless of what we find out.

As for the practical stuff, our transition back to our home school district has begun.  He will be back "home" in the fall, and while I have very mixed feelings about this, I am doing what I can to ease any anxiety I have about it.  We have begun occupational therapy again, will be beginning speech again this week, and also are starting a new home therapy program beginning this week.  I am ecstatic about the home therapy program, as it is focused on not only Nicholas, but his siblings as well. The idea is to show them a system to communicate more effectively, and to have them use this system themselves while also modeling it for Nicholas so he has that extra reinforcement.   The program itself is a work in progress, and basically a concept that I've not seen implemented anywhere else.  The fit of our therapist will be great, because she already knows all three of my children from another program we are in, and her energy and excitement to finally implement her idea with an actual family is contagious.

As for ME, well, I'm still alive and kicking.  Kicking and screaming sometimes, but more now than ever, starting to figure out how to let go.  Life has been rocky over the past several months, and at times, I have felt like I was drowning in the middle of the ocean.  But today, I feel good.  I can see the shore.  I have a lot of swimming to do, but I'll get there.

So with that, rather than detail a boring account of our past several months, I would like to simply share some nuggets that I have learned from our ever-progressive journey:

1) Put your own oxygen mask on first when the plane is going down!  It's true what they say, and I can't agree more.  How can I help my family when, I myself, am struggling to breathe?  It's a learning curve, but it's slowly happening.

2) You can't control everything in the world, but you can control your own reactions to it.  This is a big one for me.  Letting go of some things that you simply can't control just makes life  much easier to manage. This applies to just about every situation I encounter, and I'm really trying to practice this more. It brings me peace, and it allows me to give more of myself  since I am not focusing on everything I CAN'T do.

3) Create your own atmosphere.  I have been listening to a lot of music lately.(Hence the title...The Long and Winding Road....which I happen to be listening to now.) As simple as that sounds, I find that the right music can influence my mood and switch a bad one to a good one like a light switch.  Try it!

4) Taking care of yourself is not being selfish, it is your responsibility.  I fail to do this often, and now know more than ever, that it has to be a priority...and it is.

5) You can't take the future for granted, or assume you know what it holds.  Many unexpected events will happen, and you can't plan for every single one of them.  Just embrace this day, and this day only, and the rest will fall into place as it should. Sometimes its just best to stop and smell the roses, as they say.


That's all for now. As I re-read this, it just sounds like a bunch of cliches....but then again, cliches are cliches for a reason! :-)

Until next time.....







5 comments:

  1. How do we go vote for your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just by clicking on the badge on the right side that says "Top Mommy Blogs Approved" If you click it, it will take you to their website, and that's all you need to do! :-) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Spend More Time With Your Children http://www.nightart.org/fundus.
    It does not matter if you work full time or part time. Maybe you stay at home with your children but you are working from home. Even if you stay home with your children, you are busy trying to get everything done.

    No matter who you are, you probably think that you are not spending enough time with your children. Quality time, that is. There are many ways to spend more time with your children.
    Your children do not need to play every sport or do every extracurricular activity out there. You could spend all of your time running your children from one practice to another. Pick just one or two activities that

    your children love and stick with them.
    Plan family dinners where everyone sits at the table, eats, and talks about their day.
    Make dinners special so everyone likes to spend time together while eating.
    Let your children help when you are working on things.
    They can help fix dinner, clean, and fix things. Children learn by watching and doing. Chores can turn into time together so that they are much more enjoyable.
    Do things that your children want to do.
    It is hard when the house is a mess but get on the floor and play with your children. Play games that they enjoy. Have a movie night and watch their favorite movie.
    Find things that you enjoy doing together.
    Arts and crafts can be a big hit. NightArt is helping bring parents and children together. You can design a drawing and watch it light up together.
    No one feels like they spend enough time with their children. However, you need to make the most of time spent together, instead of worrying if you are spending enough time together. Find things that you enjoy

    doing together, like NightArt. Check it out at http://www.nightart.org/fundus. It will bring out the artist in everyone, bringing families together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Renee!
    I had heard some snippets of you having a kid with a problem way back when we met in Miami a couple of years back. In a sense, I'm happy that we had a great time without too much info crowding out a few great days with some laughs ( at Danish members, if I remember right!) or was that just bein selfish...? Whatever. I find you strength strangely humbling .... no scrub that, just get over here and split up my bickering kids who argue over such painfully small issues.

    Thanks for sharing your words with us all.

    Take care and hope to see you again real soon

    David Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a sign of gratitude on how my son was saved from autism, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son suffered autism in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have difficulty with communication,and he always complain of poor eye contact  . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who have the cure to autism . I never imagined autism  has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.autism  has a cure and is a herbal cure,you can contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get this medication, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete