Monday, November 12, 2012

Happy Birthday to My Babies!

I owe my lack of posts lately to life, and birthdays!  My two oldest just shared a birthday party this a couple of weekends ago, and while it was a little crazy, it was just what I wanted it to be--easy for me, and fun for the kids.  My awesome little Nicholas, just turned four (on the 4th) and my sweet and sassy little Avery just turned two (on the 2nd).  Both of my little ones were election day babies, and I remember when Avery was born, shortly after thinking that this "shared birthday" thing would be such a bummer for them as they got older.  Now that time has passed, and we have learned more about Nicholas' personality, I actually consider this timing to be a huge blessing.

I can remember Nicholas' first birthday party. I was so excited, and at the time, we had very few kids toys in my house.  We threw a huge celebration at my home that was buzzing with friends, family, and all of their kids.  It was a good time, and we got all of the appropriate pictures for a first birthday party...except one....the "cake smashed all over the face" one.  I remember vividly when everyone gathered around his high chair, singing happy birthday,and putting the cake with the one, bright burning candle in front of him.  I knew he would not blow it out, and I knew he would not eat the cake.  But what I didn't know, was that he would actually be upset by this little ordeal.  When the song finished, I blew out the candle for him, and just hoped that he might smash the cake in his hands or something.  I mean, everyone was just staring at him and waiting for something to happen.  And, it did.  He became agitated, and did not want ANYTHING to do with the cake.  I can remember feeling the pressure of that moment, and I didn't like it.  And in retrospect, he didn't like it either.  And so, I will not do that to him again.

Instead, this year, we had a gathering at a place that I knew both of my babies enjoy, and made it less about the cake and presents, and more about the fun for the kids.  Avery loved the attention of the birthday song, and she helped blow out Nicholas' candles when the time came.  She got to have her cake, and eat his too!  (ba-dum-bum!) And the kids had an absolute blast playing in the giant (and unfortunately very crowded) play-place, but without the pressure and expectation that the "typical" birthday activities of blowing out candles and opening presents often bring for us.  And so, this is likely to be our new birthday routine....finding a social place where both of my kiddos can have a special and fun time, and celebrate their birthdays in their own, unique ways.  And this is why I now feel it is a blessing that they will share their parties. As they grow, I can see Avery being Nicholas' little protector in this situation, and taking over the "expected" activities for him. Not because I don't see him ever being able to, but I don't see him really wanting to (in the near future, at least.)

God works in mysterious ways, and I think He gave me my little Avery at exactly the right time.  He knew that birthdays might be a challenge for Nicholas, and decided to make sure that he had a buddy to help him out, and to share this special and important time with him. She will grow up to be Nicholas' little angel, I suspect.  Yes, they don't necessarily play together now, and he pushes her, and she shoves him right back. Siblings will be siblings, after all.  But I know down the road, when she can better understand that her brother might need a little extra help sometimes, that she will be up for the challenge, and Nicholas will grow to love and appreciate his little sister in ways that other siblings may not.

So here we are, 2 and 4 years later, and I feel blessed to have both of my little election day babies. They have both grown so much, and I am so very proud of them.   So happy, happy birthday to my sweet, perfect little beings.  You have enriched my life in ways I could never have imagined, and I will always think of you both as my very special gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment